Friday, July 07, 2006

Never Say Never

Ok so here is the latest mishap. I already told this story to Ryan, Eric and Laura and it happened last Saturday so it might lose some of its hilarity. So I have been using clip in mountain bike pedals and shoes for about a year now and have been pleased with the performance increase they provide. I have never really been afraid of getting stuck with my feet in the pedals until now. I was happily sweating away going back and forth on the 4 or so miles of paved Jordan River parkway to reach my 12 miles for the day and I decided to go exploring a little. I hopped off the trail onto a sidewalk to see if the trail was paved again further south. It isn't until you get to 12600 South. I figured this out because the road and the sidewalk I was riding on came to a dead end, big surprise. However, the real surprise came as I stopped to turn around. Twisting my foot to release it from my pedal I found to my dismay that my foot wouldn't turn. I had already committed by body weight and balance to my right foot and I frantically tried to get my left foot out instead to no avail; pulling a muscle in my leg in the process. So I proceeded to fall over like a long dead tree off the sidewalk into a nice prickly thorn bush. Luckily no one was watching. I hope. Any hope I had of maintaining some small thread of manliness vanished as I found my feet still stuck, lying on the ground, in a thorn bush, with my bike between my legs like a scolded puppy. I eventually managed to free myself and I'm not really sure how long it took to get up but I really don't think it was that long. I haven't had any problems with the pedals since but I won't ever say that I've never fallen over because of them ever again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hearing the story in person the first time was way better than reading it, but I think Nate and Brynnard deserve a good laugh as well.